The Old Castle (Zamkovaya street 22) was once a residence of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania and the Polish kings. There was originally a wooden fortress built by Prince Vsevolodko Gorodensky and other Old Russian princes on this site dating from at least the 12th century, which marked the beginning of the city. Ruins of the Lower Church, which was built around 1160 in the tradition of the Grodno architectural school, and a part of the Upper Church walls (XIV c.) remained inside the complex.
The Italian architect Santi Gucci Stefan Batory rebuilt part of the castle as a Renaissance palace in 1579 on the orders o’ king of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.
При использовании материалов сайта обязательна прямая ссылка на grodno-best.info