Mosty is a small town located on the river banks of the Neman in which the Zelvianka flows. The town was first mentioned in 1486. The settlement appeared with the construction of plywood factory which belonged to polish capitalists brothers Konopatsky.
The place of factory building was quite advantageous: resources, labour, transport (the railroad is only few kilometers away with the Mosty station). The factory construction began in 1927. The same autumn the first output – plywood appeared and was exported to foreign markets. The owners of the factory tried to pay less to workers and increase output as much as possible.
Thus, in 1933 there was an industrial strike that was severely crushed. Gradually houses were built around the factory, all these formed a settlement called a factory village. In 1940 the village became the center of the district, which later turned into an industrial community Mosty.
In 1955 the community got a legal status of a town Mosty. The town included Zanemansk village, left bank territories – Zelviane and Podvornaya. After the war the factory as well as lithe town started to grow. At present there are 80 streets in the town. Mosty has even its own emblem.
Now we move to the west along Vokovich street that leads out of the town. Zanemanskaya village, the motherland of Volkovich is on the left.
We cross the railroad that goes to Volkovysk. This feeder was constructed in 1907.
Now we pass by Kniazhedvortsy village that is on the left. During the war the village suffered as much as Khatyn. In June, 23, 1943 it was destroyed, residents were shot up. About 920 people died. There are two monuments on the graves of Nazi victims.
We turn to Lunno. On the left of the turn you can see an architectural Monument – Blessed Virgin Church. It was built in XIX century. After the War it was closed and used as a warehouse of kolkhoz “Cherlena”. Not far there is a monument to captain Protasov’s bomber crew.
The Neman is on the way again. On its left bank there is an old great village Lunno.
The Nazi called Lunno village the Neman river the gate to Eastern Prussia. That is why it was the battlefield from the beginning of war and during its liberation from Nazi occupants. In July, 1944 many our soldiers fought fiercely during the battle of Neman, afterwards they gel Titles of Heroes of the Soviet Union. In front of the bridge the Stele listing the names of heroes was erected.
In Lunno there are two specimens of architecture – the Church John Predtecha’s Birth and the St. Anna Roman-Catholic Church built of bricks. It’s necessary to mention about the destiny of Lunno Jews. It’s hard to say when exactly they appeared in these lands. In X1X century they formed a half of local population. They lived piecefully and werea craftsmen. During the War they suffered greatly. Ghetto was built in Lunno. The Jews were forbidden to move freely around the village. At the end of War when Nazi defeat was evident, all Lunno Jews were transported to Grodno, namely to Kolbasino where a death саr was located. Later some of them were conveyed to Oświecim and other camps where Lunno Jews passed away.
Mosty, Cvetochnaya Street, 1, tel.(801515) 33445
Mosty, Vokzalnaya Street, 5, tel.(801515) 33558
Mosty, Lenin Square, 1, tel. (801515) 32305
«Kronon» Restaurant Mosty, Sovetskaya Street, 17, tel. (801515) 33379
Mosty, Pushkina Street, tel. (801515)32786
«Gudevichy State Museum of local history and literature»
Mosty district, Gudevichy village, Centralnaya Street, 7, tel. (801515) 38782
Unitary Enterprise «LoriStux»
Mosty, Sovetskaya Street, 1, tel. (801515) 41878
При использовании материалов сайта обязательна прямая ссылка на grodno-best.info